Some dads can be so easy to shop for: bow tie, baseball tickets, or new tool box. Then there are some that require days, maybe even months of thinking and planning for a clever and unexpected Father’s Day gift. If your Dad is one of those or you just simply need some suggestions, we’ve come up with 7 ideas that will show him he’s number one on this Father’s Day.
Most Dads spend this time of year outdoors. From BBQ‘s to camping they seem to gravitate to the outdoors. This can be a good thing for gift ideas. Depending on which outdoor activity he enjoys look to buy him a new or updated item he already owns. A new grill, tent, or even lawn mower is great idea. Visit your nearest outdoors store and shop around for some items like these.
Electronics, electronics, and more electronics! Dads are for some reason fascinated with electronics. Get Dad that new TV, or new surround sound system for the living room. We found some great ideas at
For the Dad that loves sports. If you’re thinking about getting him something from this department, it should be a little easier. Anything with his favorite teams’ logo will most likely do just fine. Anything from a jersey to coffee mug is a nice gift. To think a little bigger season tickets or new equipment for tail gating is something that would be unexpected. Check out this website for great sports apparel
Men usually don’t shop throughout the year unless it’s a holiday or for someone else. This would be a great time to get him some new clothes that he normally would not think to purchase for himself. A new shirt (casual or dress), pants, or even shoes. Check out his closet to get a better idea of what he needs most.
Make him his favorite meal or take him to his favorite restaurant. Men love to eat and you definitely cannot go wrong if you decide to simply take him out or cook that meal that he loves.
Buy something for his car. For the Dad that has a passion for his car or cars in general, buy him something that he can use or has wanted to upgrade his car. He’ll not only love the thought, but probably be totally surprised.
As we said for Mother’s Day a personalized gift is always a great thoughtful gift and can also be a great idea for Dad also. A personalized shirt, coffee mug, or even cell phone case are a few ideas that he might enjoy.
Try not to eat before bed. As we sleep our energy levels drop, which makes it twice as hard for our bodies to burn excess calories that we eat during a late night dinner. Save your food for when you are awake.
Starting slow is better than fast. Starting an exercise plan that includes running ten miles and then being sick for weeks is not where you should be starting. Start by walking for 30 minutes or using a lighter weight than heavier weights.
Find a partner. Having someone else pushing you and doing exercises with you, will make it easier to stay on track. They also can be a great motivational boost and make working out fun, rather than actual work.
Resting day. Make sure no matter what, you set aside a day or two to rest. Some people choose to rest on the weekends. While others the weekend is the only time they have to work out. Just as long as you give your body the proper rest it needs doesn’t really matter what day you choose. Do keep in mind this is not an excuse to binge eat and ruin all your heard work.
Memorial Day is almost here! Simply7 knows it can be hard to stay on track with all the BBQ’s and gatherings that will be going on this weekend. We wanted to give you some tips on how to enjoy this Memorial Day weekend guilt-free.
Try grilling Veggie Kabobs! Try eating more of these to stay away from the potato salad and mac n cheese. Check out this website for some great recipe ideas
Burgers and hot dogs are two of the most traditional food items you will see on the grill this Memorial Day weekend. This year try grilling turkey burgers and turkey hot dogs. Follow this link for an amazing turkey burger recipe
Stay active! It is Memorial Day weekend after all and for most a long 3 day weekend. Get some exercise in. If there is a volleyball game or Frisbee game going participate! This weekend does not have solely be about eating.
Think and eat in moderation. Don’t arrive with the “all or nothing mentality”. Don’t deprive yourself of everything, but don’t eat everything in sight and tell yourself you will start over on Monday. Remember everything in moderation.
Drink plenty of water. We all know sodas, lemonade, and fruit juices are loaded with sugar. Remember staying hydrated and drinking plenty water also helps you know when you are really hungry. Not only will you avoid drinking your calories, but it will help you from over eating.
Fruit, fruit, and more fruit! Cold fruits make a great dessert. Watermelon, pineapples, strawberries, and melons will be popular this weekend as well. Choose this to satisfy your sweet tooth after your meal instead of cake and cookies.
If you happen to be a meat lover, stick to the leaner meats like grilled chicken breasts or fish if available. Try to avoid all of the mayo filled dishes. Load up on the good stuff and enjoy yourself.
Thinking about hosting your own Memorial Day cook off? Here are a few websites to check out for some delicious recipes ideas.
As children in school we make finger painted cards and noodle necklaces for Mother’s Day. As we get older the search for the “Right” gift becomes a little more stressful and time consuming. Simply7 came up with 7 tips to help you find the best gift for mom this Mother’s Day.
- Personalized Gifts always tend to touch the recipients heart a little more than a traditional gift. Giving mom a personalized card, piece of jewelry, or photo related gift will give her an item that connects you and her to the special occasion and relationship you have. To find reasonably priced personalized gifts for her go to
- A gift basket of her favorite scents, lotions, candles, or soaps is a traditional, yet thoughtful gift. A woman can never go wrong with a basket full of her favorite goodies. A great website to shop for gift baskets is http://www.gifttree.com. A custom made basket makes a great gift as well.
- Gift cards are easy and a great way to get mom to spend money on herself in places she wouldn’t normally. A gift card to a spa day, her favorite restaurant, pottery class, or a wine tasting are some great ideas to surprise her with.
- Flowers are the more traditional and popular gift choice on Mother’s Day, yet it still is a beautiful and colorful way to brighten her day. You can also, have them delivered to her job or house to make her feel a little more special around the office or house. Wanting to order flowers to get delivered? Try ordering through www.proflowers.com or your local florist.
- If she enjoys cooking, gardening, travel, or crafts find creative gifts that match her interest. I would suggest looking on http://www.amazon.com to have a variety of choices.
- Mothers are always the first and last to be in the kitchen. This Mother’s Day be the one cooking a home cooked meal for her and the family.
- Take her to a restaurant she has never been to or has wanted to go to, but has not had the chance to treat herself. Wanting to make reservations? Visit
to avoid the wait.
- Try taking shorter showers to reduce water use. This will lower your water and heating bills too.
- Walk or bike to work. This saves on gas and parking costs while improving your cardiovascular health and reducing your risk of obesity.
- Use a water filter to purify tap water instead of buying bottled water. Not only is bottled water expensive, but it generates large amounts of container waste.
- Re-use your grocery bags or buy a canvas bag you can carry your groceries in.
- Be bright about light! Turn off the lights when you’re leaving any room for 15 mins or more and utilize natural light when you can.
- Pay your bills online. Not only is it greener, it’s a sanity saver.
- Give up washing your car at home. Commercial car washes require an average of about 45 gallons of water per car wash whereas, home washers typically use between 80-140 gallons.
We’ve pulled some of our favorite plants to add to your garden this spring. From fresh veggies to herbs, nothing beats fresh produce from your own backyard. Don’t have a green thumb? No problem, we’ve listed only the easiest plants to grow (and keep alive) just for you!
Veggies to Grow:
With minimum water and a lot of sun tomato plants can grow and last you all summer long. An easy time- saving way to begin your own tomato garden is to head over to your local nursery or home improvement store and buy a starter plant.
Fresh cucumbers straight from the garden are a cool delight on a hot day. These dark, slender fruits are must-haves for every garden! You can pickle them or slice them right into a salad. They are able to grow in many different kinds of soil. They need a moderate amount of water and some sun.
Herbs to Grow:
Given the prices some markets charge for small quantities of herbage, growing them yourself will save a whole lot of money. You can’t beat the grow-it-yourself bang for buck ratio.
Both spearmint and peppermint literally grow like weeds. Keep in mind that a lot of spearmint is required to produce the same minty effect as peppermint, so if you’re growing it indoors, where space is limited and harvesting is frequent, peppermint is the better option. Start your peppermint plant with seeds—not root or leaf cuttings—in a small pot full of potting soil. Peppermint will thrive in shade, but make sure it’s in a spot where it gets at least a little bit of light each day.
Cilantro herbs are rich in antioxidants, essential oils, vitamins, and dietary fiber, which helps reduce LDL or bad cholesterol while increasing HDL “good cholesterol levels”. They require full sun or light shade in southern zones since it bolts quickly in hot weather. It grows best in a well-drained, moist soil. Cilantro plants should be spaced about 6 to 8 inches apart. Cilantro is best grown by directly planting seed.
Sunny Smile Sunflowers
Try planting this exotic yet beautiful flower this spring. This particular sunflower does not give off pollen which is a plus for anyone that suffers from allergies. They also make great indoor plants as well. They require full sun, and dry-moist soil.
We’d like to make it a little easier on you this year, so here at Simply7 the team has come up with 7 great ideas to spoil that special someone this year!
- Stay in and cook a romantic dinner. We’ve got recipes if you need them. Add some candle light and some calming music and enjoy each other’s company. Recipes here,
- Find a dance or art class near your house and surprise them with a spontaneous and fun activity you can do together. Try Groupon or Living Social
- You could always get your special someone a spa day to relax, who doesn’t enjoy having a day to themselves. Give them a treat of a massage or a manicure/pedicure.
- If you know they like pictures you can always gather some of their favorite pictures and put them together in a picture book or a collage to hang them all together. Here are some great sites that make this super simple. Try
- Another idea is having a movie night; grab some popcorn and your favorite movies and enjoy a relaxing night in each other’s company. Need some ideas on what to watch,
- You can always do what every couple does on Valentine’s Day and go out to their favorite restaurant, but don’t forget those reservations since everyone wants to go out that night. If you want a table somewhere, book it now.
- There is always the classic gift for Valentine’s Day, flowers, we found some great website to order from.